Dec 23 2021
A community update regarding COVID-19
Dear White Horse Village Community,
This past week, we have had three additional team members test positive, and are waiting on test results for other residents and team members who are symptomatic.
The first Omicron variant was detected in the United States on December 1. Within three weeks, it is now responsible for about 73% of new COVID19 cases, an increase of 25% in the last seven days or about 650,000 infections in the United States last week. This variant is highly transmissible, evidenced by the county transmission rate of 10.85% (it was 6.99% at the beginning of December).
We know that Omicron is highly contagious, and it appears that vaccinated individuals if infected experience mild symptoms.
We are very fortunate that almost 100% of residents are vaccinated and with the mandatory vaccine policy for team members, only a small number of team members with approved medical or religious exemptions are not vaccinated. Conversely, with the escalation in the number of breakthrough infections that are occurring, we must re-evaluate what can be done in the short-term to prevent the spread of the Omicron variant in our community. In the last few days, restaurants, sporting and entertainment events, and schools have announced measures to mitigate spreading the virus during the next few weeks, as people are traveling and planning to be with family and friends. Many at White Horse Village are eager to spend time with family and friends during this holiday season. While we certainly understand the importance of gathering with loved ones at this time of year, there is the strong potential that cases of COVID may increase on our campus following the Christmas holiday.
In consultation with Dr. Ulichney (Medical Director), the Senior Leadership Team has met and has decided that it is in the Community’s best interest to add additional mitigation efforts to get us through a potentially precarious two-week period.
These mitigation efforts are effective Monday, December 27, and will be in effect for two weeks (through Sun. Jan 9th). They are as follows:
- Team Members are not able to exercise in the Wellness Center.
- Team Members must always wear masks (except when alone in an office), even when interacting with other team members.
- Residents will need to wear a mask while in the Clubhouse.
- Guests are not permitted in the Clubhouse
- Residential Dining will revert to pick-up only (additional instructions will be provided on Friday, December 24).
- The Fireside Service (Friday, December 24) will be broadcast only (no live audience) on WHV-TV.
- Wine and Cheese are canceled Wednesday, December 29, and January 5.
- We will broadcast New Year’s Eve entertainment on WHV-TV (no live audience).
- Village Singers rehearsals will be delayed one week and begin on Monday, January 10.
Thank you in advance for your understanding as we work together to keep our residents and team members safe during this special time of year. These preventative measures are expected to be short-term and your cooperation is appreciated!
Please have a happy, healthy, and safe holiday season!
With warm regards,
Len Weiser, President & CEO