Mar 11 2020
White Horse Village kicks-off an industry-leading wellness program
White Horse Village, a thirty-year-old active senior living community located on 96 acres, kicks-off the second year of Wellness University, a lifelong learning program to improve wellness knowledge and practices, and enrich life experiences for residents.
Developed internally by White Horse Village Wellness and Healthcare team members, Wellness University’s College of the Whole-Person offers degrees in seven dimensions of wellness, including emotional, environmental, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and vocational. Semesters include approximately 20 course offerings, featuring lectures, workshops, activities and excursions.
“At White Horse Village, wellness goes beyond the fitness center,” says Todd Canfield, Wellness Manager and LeadingAgePA Fellow in Leadership. “We broaden wellness to include the whole person, including body, mind and spirit. Our team works collaboratively to educate residents on a full range of topics and encourage optimal health for a longer, fuller life.”
Wellness University offers three semesters per year—spring, summer and fall. The spring semester runs March 16 through May 22 and includes courses such as:
- The Cognitive Action Plan™ 10 Building Blocks for Better Brain Health™ by Kevin Jameson, founder of Dementia Society of America;
- Introduction to Mindfulness by Cindy Flores, Licensed Professional Counselor;
- The Cultural and Spiritual Life of the Lenape “Grandfather” Tribe by Dick Gilbert, a.k.a. Quiet Thunder;
- Chinese Medicine: A Healing Journey Through the Meridians by Liz Wanner, certified in Qigong and Tai Chi for Health, Tai Chi Easy, Integral Qigong, and Medical Qigong; and
- Eat Your Way to Wellness by Dr. Esther Estes, retired physician and former pharmaceutical executive.
Wellness University participants earn bachelor’s degrees with 30 credits in one dimension and a master’s degrees with 30 credits in all seven dimensions. The program is offered at no cost to residents and their guests/family members, priority club members, Springton Lake Village residents and team members.